This time of year, Dahlias really come into their own. Here are a selection from my neighbours garden. Jim is in his late eighties, but spends all day in his garden growing vegetables mainly, but also has a bit of a penchant for dahlias.
Pom Pom Dahlia
Some facts about dahlias :
- Dahlias were originally grown as a food crop, as they apparently have edible tubers.
- They are native to Mexico, but now grown all over the world.
- There’s no such thing as a black dahlia. They come in just about every shade under the sun, except true blue and black. “Black” dahlias are actually burgundy. You can see from my picture
- Best time to plant tubers is May.
- There are 42 species and about 20,000 cultivars of dahlia.
- In the mid 19th century a London newspaper offered £1 to the first breeder to produce a blue dahlia. The reward has never been claimed and breeders are still striving for the elusive blue colour. There have been several near blue cultivars.
Cee’s Black and White Photo Challenge this week is to show a black & white flower. Being a bit of a “colour- fiend” myself I struggled with this, until I came across this bright yellow dahlia, which worked quite well as a monochrome I hope.
Over at Ceen Photography – the topic for the black & white challenge is “close up”. Hope that this up close and personal view of my old Kodak camera fits the bill!.
Check out Cee’s photographs and lots of great entries to the challenge here
The Daily Posts Weekly Photo Challenge is “Wall”. This worked out well for me as I took this photo recently when it was wet and miserable outside and I was looking around for something different to photograph.
Here is our entry for the Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge. This week the topic is “Scale”
Art sculpture in Prague
This was taken at Greenway which is a National Trust property in Devon. Greenway was once the home of the famous mystery writer, Agatha Christie. I would love to think she sat here and was inspired by the view through the window.
The house of Agatha Christie
I think this white Bulgarian rose is the most perfect flower , a real treasure
Taken in Varna, Bulgaria
Today’s Photo101 challenge is “moment”. In France earlier in the year, I was about to take a photo of my brother in law in front of the gite. This curious chicken hopped up onto the seat and definitely had a “moment” with him 🙂
Head over to Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge to see her latest challenge..the theme of Soft Pastels
Here are mine
Beach Huts at Le Touquet
My drawing of an iris
My entries for Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge this week
Love his hairdo!
And now for something completely different…………